With Open Hands

In 1979 I read Henri Nouwen's book, "With Open Hands, " and what he had to say about living with open hands rather than clenched fists inspired me to write a four verse poem expressing my thoughts about living life free from defence mechanisms--although it wasn't as easy as I thought to lay them all down.

The first verse of the poem came to mind as I thought of Jesus and his vulnerability in coming to earth as a baby.

With open hands I stand before the world
I lay my weapons down for Jesus' sake.
Naked, unmasked, defenseless--it's my choice
Because I know that he my hand will take

Ezekiel 36:26 (New Living Translation)

26 And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony, stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family