High Horses and Other Modes of Transport

Proverbs 16:18 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

18 Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall.

My eyes fluttered open as the grey light of dawn filtered into my room. Stretching in the warm cocoon of my bed, I reached into the crispy cold air of my bedroom with my outstretched arms. Something important was tugging at my sleepy brain, and slowly I remembered; I had an adventure planned for this morning!

As quietly as I could, I slipped from between the covers. Shivering and teeth chattering, I quickly dressed and padded downstairs, careful not to wake my sleeping parents and brother. My parents certainly wouldn't have understood my mission -- and my brother, three years younger, would have wanted to tag along.

Leaving the still silent house with a couple of apples in my pocket, I stepped out into a world already alive with chirping, twittering bird-song and began to run through the frosty grass towards the meadow.

There she stood, my friend Merrylegs; and at my approach she walked towards the fence, the breath from her nostrils hanging in the cold air. Her warm velvety nose nuzzled into my outstretched hand, her lips feeling for the juicy apple to munch.

I climbed over the fence and jumped to the ground, landing with a thud. My aim was to ride Merrylegs, but I'd never ridden a horse, and all of a sudden, standing right beside her, I realized how high she stood. After a few valiant attempts to jump on, which she patiently tolerated, I realized that my fantasy of galloping around the field would be unfulfilled, that day at least!

This was my first encounter with a "high horse," but not my last. Every now and then it seems, a "high horse" gallops into view and unlike my experience with Merrylegs, it is all too easy to climb up on them. It's not a trait I like and I'm learning to dismount as soon as I realize I'm up there. It's a height I'd rather not fall from.

I think about Jesus, who chose a very different mode of transport. A king who rode a donkey-- a beast that speaks of humility. How different from my "high horse" that speaks of self and pride.

Dear Lord, please help me, when I feel the "high horse" trotting into my vicinity, to look around instead for the donkey. Please transform me, help me to choose the path of gentleness and humility.

Zechariah 9:9 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

The Coming of Zion's King

9 Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion!
Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem!
See, your king comes to you,
righteous and having salvation,
gentle and riding on a donkey,
on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family