His Signet Ring

Haggai 2:23 (New International Version)
“…and I will make you like my signet ring, for I have chosen you,” declares the Lord Almighty.”

These words – spoken to Zerubbabel, through the prophet Haggai, speak to me. The commentary in my Life Application Bible, says this:

“A signet ring was used to guarantee the authenticity of a letter. It served as a signature when pressed soft wax on a written document.”

“My prayer is that I too, will be like his signet ring; that what flows from me in written and spoken word will bear his unmistakable mark, his signature pressed on the soft wax of my heart.”

I wrote these words in my journal a few months ago, and I continue to meditate on their meaning. Does my life bear the mark, the authenticity that speaks of Jesus? Only those closest to me are qualified to answer that question, and I am afraid that they would often, if truthful, answer that it has far to go. I’m not discouraged by that fact, only encouraged to press in more, to “get over” my pre-occupation with my own small hurts and wounds – yes I am a baby when it comes to that.

Today I read in Amy Carmichael’s devotion, “Edges of His Ways”, these words: “There are two prayers, one of which we are constantly praying, sometimes in words, sometimes in thoughts, always in actions. One is, “Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth Thee”; the other is, “Lord, let me do the thing that pleaseth me.” If we are honest with our God He will show us which of these two prayers we habitually use. Some use the first in the morning and the second all through the day; for such the second is the habit of the soul.”

What a challenge Amy’s words were to me as I read them this morning. Which is the habit of my soul? I know which one I want to be the habit of my soul!

Prayer: Dear Lord, in the places that are hard for me to yield to you, which for me seem to be the small things, the petty hurts and silly offences, please let me be like you. Please let me be “authentically yours”, please let me be like your “signet ring”. I realize that you may give me chances to practice your grace and selflessness; please help me to recognize those times when they come, as opportunities and not as annoyances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family