Sharing This Morning

Happy Saturday morning everyone! This is a busy weekend, following a busy week, but I want to recommend a fruitful post by another blogger, Alicia Butcher Ehrhartd.

One of my favourite books is Mistakes Were Made but Not by Me by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson. That book is about self justification and judgement; how we remember things--and our general human tendency to subconsciously tilt the scales in our own favour when doing so.

Alicia posted the poem Misattribution (clicking on the word will take you there,) which is what I am recommending you read, to illustrate the fundamental attribution error - a pyschological framework for understanding a similar principle and the underpinnings that drive us in that direction. I loved the poem and am grateful for Alicia taking me deeper into understanding a human tendency, which we can guard against in ourselves and others the better we know it.


Matthew 9:13

Living Bible (TLB)
13 Then he added, “Now go away and learn the meaning of this verse of Scripture,
‘It isn’t your sacrifices and your gifts I want—I want you to be merciful.’[a]
For I have come to urge sinners, not the self-righteous, back to God.”

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the link, Belinda - just note that the poem is NOT mine - I added a tiny bit when I re-blogged it.

It is about not assuming that someone with a chronic invisible illness chose to give up so much. We were forced to. It just gets so tiring to have to explain that to every single person - it would be better if people's default setting were compassion instead of judgment. As a species, we'd make a lot more progress that way.
Belinda said…
Thank you for that correction Alicia. I have made a couple of small changes in response. I agree with your point. We have an inbuilt "sense making" impulse, which can backfire so easily when we assume that our "sense" is someone else's truth. So glad to meet you and find your blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family