In Celebration of Friends


By Belinda 
(Who has a very early start tomorrow morning and therefore is recycling a post from the past!) 


"Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow-ripening fruit." Aristotle


I have been enjoying a book on CD entitled The Art of Friendship, 70 Simple Rules for Making Meaningful Connections, by Roger Horchow and Sally Horchow.


In Malcolm Gladwell's, The Tipping Point, which I listened to last month, he mentioned Roger Horchow, the founder of The Horchow Collection, the first luxury mail-order-only retailer, and a Tony Award-winning Broadway producer, as an excellent example of a group of people he called "connectors." Roger is a master at maintaining a high number of relationships.


In The Art of Friendship, Roger says, "Life is too short to spend it paddling around in shallow waters." I agree!


To me, friendship is an endless voyage of discovery, an exploration of uncharted lands. There is no end to the pleasure to be found in the company of friends and any happiness is magnified many times over when shared with them.


The Art of Friendship intrigued me so much that I'm listening to it for the second time. I want to be a better friend. After all, I believe that the gift of friendship is one of the greatest joys God gives us in life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I consider my friends my greatest richness - and a major blessing from the Lord.
Marilyn said…
Just put the audiobook version on hold at the library. Sounds great! I know I'll enjoy it while walking. Thanks!
Belinda said…
Marilyn, How awesome! You won't be disappointed. :)
Belinda said…
I second that, Anon!
Theresa said…
Read that book a few years back and all his other books since. He really is quite brilliant. You might like his book "The Outliers" actually, all his books are fascinating.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family