3/4 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp flour
1/8 tsp salt
3 large eggs
3 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 deep 9 inch pie shell, baked
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1) In a small bowl, with fingers or fork, combine icing sugar & peanut butter to make coarse crumbs. Set aside.
2) In a 2 quart saucepan, stir together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the cornstarch, flour and salt.
3)Separate eggs, placing whites in medium sized bowl, and set aside to warm to room temperature. Add yolks to sugar mixture in saucepan, along with milk. With wire whisk, stir until very well combined.
4) Over medium heat, stirring constantly, heat milk mixture to boiling. Cook, stirring 2 minutes longer. Remove pudding from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
5) Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle 1/3 of the peanut butter mixture over bottom of pie shell. Spoon 1/2 of the pudding over crumbs. Sprinkle with another 1/3 of crumbs and top with remaining pudding.
6) Add cream of tartar to egg whites in medium sized bowl. With electric mixer at high speed, beat whites until soft peaks form. Gradually sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar over whites, beating until meringue forms stiff peaks when beater is lifted.
7) Spread meringue over pudding in pie shell, being sure to touch edge of shell to seal. With spatula or back of spoon, swirl top of meringue. Sprinkle remaining 1/3 of peanut butter crumbs around top edge of pie to make a border.
8) Bake Pie 8-10 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting. Store in refrigerator.