Small Powerful Choices

By Belinda

From July 2008. (Forgive me, friends, for not giving "fresh bread" this weekend. I needed to take some time to just "be." I shall be back!)
Each day is a series of small choices that seem insignificant at the moment, but which actually affect not just us but those with whom we connect, and maybe those with whom they connect.

I'm thinking of the choice at any given moment, between thinking negatively, speakng a word of criticism or complaint; or taking the road of gratitude and appreciation.

What started me thinking about this was an interview I heard on the radio this week. A comedian was the guest and I admired the way he managed to keep the interview positive. He said that he gets most of his material from reflecting on our culture, in which most of us have no idea how good we have it and tries to point that out by finding humour in the ludicrous; for example, someone getting frustrated by the fact that a computer takes 12 seconds to boot up, or how we have lengthy deliberations over where to eat out; "We had pizza yesterday, I don't want to have it again, let's have Chinese; no, let's have Greek, I feel like Greek tonight."

Pete called this morning and asked, "How are things Mom?" There was a split second when I had a choice and this time I made the right one; "this time" because so often I don't. It felt good to have chosen laughter and lightheartedness and to bless his weekend with a few endorphins released into his system. Apparently endorphins are more powerful than morphine and give an overall sense of well being.

There is a Facebook group that I stumbled upon, called, The Optimistic and Enthusiastic.Today this message was posted there"

Why Think Positively? All of our feelings, beliefs and knowledge are based on our internal thoughts, both conscious and subconscious. We are in control, whether we know it or not. Aim high and do your best We can be positive or negative, enthusiastic or dull, active or passive. The biggest difference between people is their attitudes. For some, learning is enjoyable and exciting. For others, learning is a drudgery. For many, learning is just okay, something required on the road to a job.

In the same vein, I read Psalm 106 today, in which the anonymous psalmist repents on behalf of himself and his people for a lack of gratitude and appreciation for all that God has done and exhorts us to praise God.

Psalm 106:1 (New International Version)
Praise the LORD.
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; 
his love endures forever.

6 We have sinned, even as our fathers did;
we have done wrong and acted wickedly.
7 When our fathers were in Egypt,

they gave no thought to your miracles; 
they did not remember your many kindnesses, 
and they rebelled by the sea, the Red Sea. 
.
13 ...they soon forgot what he had done

and did not wait for his counsel. 

When we notice, focus on and discuss the negative, we lose joy and spread gloom. It is sin, for we have so much to be grateful for. So, as I start a new day tomorrow, I will aim to bring joy to those I am with, and be grateful.

48 Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, 
from everlasting to everlasting.
Let all the people say, "Amen!"
Praise the LORD.

Comments

Dolores Ayotte said…
Belinda,
Jan steered me in your direction and I'm glad she did. I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this post and your positive attitude. It was refreshing and made me realize how much I actually have to be grateful for. Thanks!
Trev said…
Hi Belinda,
Don't know how i got here but glad i have arrived.
Yes i agree with your comments, and have been gently reminded by Him over recent times of the importance of gratefulness and thanksgiving in my thought life.
So thanks for your small? wittness.
Belinda said…
Dear Dolores and Trevor,
You have no idea how your comments encouraged me. I have been distracted by a worry at the edge of my life that made me too unfocused to write. My small offering today from the archives felt so puny. And God used it to bless you. Go God!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family