Mohrruben Kuchen A.K.A. Carrot Cake


By Belinda

This weekend I said to my brother Rob, over the phone, "Do you remember the carrot cake I used to make?" (This would have been in the 1970s when Rob lived with us for 2 years.)

"Remember it? Of COURSE I do," he said, leaving me in no doubt that his memories were fond.

I told him I'd made one last week, but I couldn't find my recipe and the one I made didn't quite taste the same, even though it went down just fine with all of us.

Well, I finally found the recipe. That's it, up there, on loose leaf, lined paper, with the splodges that must adorn all favourite recipes, handwritten by me, over thirty years ago!

It really is a great recipe, although not calorie conscious I'm afraid, but I console myself with the fact that it does have fruit, nuts and vegetables in it. Right now my house is fragrant. The result of an evening baking session.

1 1/2 cups oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
14 oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
2 cups grated carrots

Grease an oblong 13 x 9 pan
Mix oil and sugar; add beaten eggs and blend thoroughly
Add flour which has been sifted with salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Add nuts, pineapple and carrots.
Bake at 325 degrees for approx 1 hour


Icing
3oz package Philadelphia cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 1b butter or margarine
1/2 1b icing sugar.

Blend together with electric beater and spread on cool cake.

Gather some friends and have a party! :)

Comments

Susan said…
B'a, that's very close to MY carrot cake recipe! Mine calls for 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and one more teaspoon of baking powder than yours (for a total of 1 and a half teaspoons) but otherwise it's exactly the same.

My cream cheese frosting is:
1 4 oz pkg cream cheese
1/2 Cup butter
2 Cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla

I got this recipe from my mom. And she got it from Mary Moore! :)
Belinda said…
Susan you can sample mine tomorrow at Marion's memorial gathering. It probably tastes exactly the same except for no cinnamon and more vanilla in the icing.
Marilyn said…
Well NOW I'll have to make one of each - Belinda's version and Susan's - just to compare. Weight Watcher's doesn't stand a chance around here.
Belinda said…
Ha ha Marilyn, yes, you can be the unbiased taste tester. You might have to try them both more than once in order to be absolutely sure you know! :)
um, excuse me ladies, what do you use to get stains from a vast amount of drool off a shirt?
Belinda said…
Ha ha, Dave! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family