holy experience



By Belinda

Today I will be at the funeral for Colleen Mills, Joyful Fox's sister-in-law, who passed away on Saturday. Her family kept a 7 week vigil at the hospital, praying for a miracle, but it was not to be.

On January 18th, she had suffered a heart arythmia at the start of an exercise class. Just 44; a sweet and kind person, she had a young family and husband who loved her.

There is a link to her sister Sylvia's blog, which chronicles their journey, in the upper right corner of this blog. Sylvia chose this beautifully appropriate scripture to announce Colleen's arrival in heaven:

Psalm 45:13,14:
13 The bride, a princess, looks glorious
in her golden gown.
14 In her beautiful robes, she is led to the king...

I confess that after the painful events of this week, I am suddenly aware of the privilege that it is to grow old.

On Tuesday night, after the death of Vu Pham, just 37, I woke up in the night, with the words of Psalm 23 on my mind. As I recited it from memory, verse 4 came alive with significance:

Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;


The whole lovely and familiar psalm is a celebration of life: lived here on earth and in heaven.

We walk through the valley of the shadow of death. Death itself is just a shadow that we pass by on the way to the banqueting table of the King of kings.


Psalm 23 (New International Version)

Psalm 23
A psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

Our prayers are with the Mills and Fox families today, and also with the Pham and Thompson families.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family