The Goodness of God

Hebrews 11:6 (New International Version)
6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

I read the devotional verses in a hurry--not my usual leisurely Saturday morning filled with family and time to reflect. I had to be somewhere and needed to leave early.

But as I read the Daily Light, these verses leaped out at me and seemed to say; "What you believe about God is as important as believing in him."

So here I am at the end of my busy Saturday, trying to articulate that thought sensibly.

Our thoughts about God can be affected by all sorts of things, but he isn't a fairy tale, created by a flight of fancy made up to suit our liking--he is real and revealed in the pages of the Bible, through story and account. And to that can be added our experience of who he is.

The writer of the letter to the Hebrews is saying that as well as believing that God is, we must believe that he is a rewarder of those that diligently seek him. In other words, we need to believe in the goodness of God--and James concurs--doubt is a self fulfilling prophesy.

I've learned the importance of having faith in my closest relationships. It's really detrimental to the relationship is you can't trust in who the person is. When you believe in the goodness of the person, despite evidence appearing to the contrary, something powerful happens. It solidifies the relationship. You have to be able to trust the person's heart.

So it is with God. No matter what the circumstances look like; because I've experienced it and because I believe his Word--God is good. His heart for us is good. He loves us with an everlasting love.

I believe in the goodness of God.


James 1:6-7 (New International Version)
6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family