We Need Each Other

Romans 12:16 (The Message)
The Message (MSG)
Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson
14-16Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they're happy; share tears when they're down. Get along with each other; don't be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don't be the great somebody.

I have friends who are fascinated by technology for it's own sake--they are driven by curiosity and love playing with new tools. I'm not like that but I'm glad they are because I need them in my life. I am loathe to change for the sake of change and slow to catch on to the utility of new gadgets. About a hundred years after everybody else I wake up to the possible advantages of a given item and only then do I drive myself to break the technology barrier.

We are all born with a tool kit with several pieces missing. It's important to know that our tools aren't just for ourselves but to be shared with others--and we need the ones that they have too in order to fulfill the assignments God gives us in life.

All around us are people who hold the truths, information or technical skills that we need to fill in our gaps. God made us this way to bind us together in interdependence, humility and mutual respect as well as to be a blessing to one another.

Some people genuinely don't realize that they have anything the rest of the world needs. For them, the most powerful thing can be for other people to notice the gifts that they are blind to and mention them. I've learned never to assume that people see the beauty and strength that I see within them and that telling them is important. People have done this for me too and I can't overstate the importance of their words in helping me to identify who I am and the gifts I have to share with others.

I love this lovely line from Robert Fulgham's, "All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"

And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out in the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

Going forward hand in hand, being ready to lift or be lifted and sharing tools generously--these are goals I aspire to in the New Year.

Comments

Richard Bowers said…
Hi Belinda,
It is true that no man is an island unto himself. I see you changed your template again! I actually liked the one you had before as it was more suited to your personality. Your choice obviously. Anyways, thanks for your personal e-mail. The Lord giveth and taketh away, does He not? Looking forward to reading much more of your blog in 2007.
mi*chelle said…
I like the new look...seems like you enjoy SOME change, huh?

I especially liked these thoughts today, they made me think...

"Some people genuinely don't realize that they have anything the rest of the world needs. For them, the most powerful thing can be for other people to notice the gifts that they are blind to and mention them. I've learned never to assume that people see the beauty and strength that I see within them and that telling them is important. People have done this for me too and I can't overstate the importance of their words in helping me to identify who I am and the gifts I have to share with others."

Thanks, as always, for sharing yor insights!
Michelle

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family